Morphology Masterclass (PD494)
Give the gift of morphological awareness with this unique masterclass!
Research has shown that when children understand the morphemes that make up words, they become better readers and spellers. They also develop a greater appreciation for language and its complexities.
Lyn Stone’s Morphology Masterclass is a comprehensive three-part course that delves into the fascinating world of morphology and etymology. In this course, you will learn how to identify, analyse and teach the morphemes that make up words.
Part one: Where do we Begin?
A thorough introduction to the basics of morphology and etymology. You will learn the key terminology and concepts behind this subject, as well as gain a deeper understanding of how words are (and aren’t) formed.
Part two: The Big List
In this section we will focus on the prefixes, bases and suffixes that we get from Latin and Greek. This will include connecting vowels and assimilated (chameleon) morphemes. You will learn how to recognise and use these morphemes to expand your students’ vocabulary and deepen their understanding of English.
Part three: What does this Look Like in the Classroom?
Let’s focus on applying morphology in the classroom. This section is tailored to meet the needs of both beginner and advanced learners. You will learn practical strategies and techniques for teaching morphology to children, which will help them become better readers and spellers. You will also discover how to integrate morphology into your existing curriculum, making it an exciting and engaging part of the learning process.
What to expect
The Morphology Masterclass is an easy-to-follow online course that you can do at your own pace. It unfolds over three weeks, starting on June 29, 2023, and includes:
- quizzes, and
Each week, a new video and materials will be released on the course platform, which you can access whenever it suits you. You don’t need to worry about time zones or missing out on any content.
Once the last video is released on July 12, you will then have an additional six weeks to consolidate your knowledge, ask questions, and interact with other attendees in the forum.
This will help you to fully understand the concepts covered in the course and apply them to your own teaching or personal learning.
What you will receive
This Morphology Masterclass includes a kit packed with practical resources so that you can start running highly engaging, effective morphology lessons straight away.
All elements of this kit can be downloaded and stored on your hard drive for your lessons and are yours to keep forever.
- Alterable slide deck containing ready made lessons and templates
- A morphology Foundation-6 suggested scope and sequence
- Alterable morphology lesson plan templates
- A Latin and Greek morpheme chart with definitions and examples
- A False Grapheme Inventory with suggestions on using morphemes to explain spelling patterns instead
Why this Morphology Masterclass is the right one for you
This Masterclass is the perfect fit because it is designed and written by linguist and world-renowned literacy expert, Lyn Stone. Lyn has vast experience in guiding children and teachers towards a deeper understanding of the true and transferable phenomena of the English writing system.
As a linguist, Lyn has a strong theoretical foundation and expertise in the underlying structure of language, making her well-equipped to help teachers understand how words are formed and how to teach these skills to their students.
How to get the most out of this course
- Set aside 2 hours per week to watch the video and answer the quizzes. You can do this in a school team, by yourself or with a friend (as long as you all have separate licences – our software can detect double-ups!)
- Take notes while watching the videos in the spaces provided in the handouts and review them regularly to reinforce the concepts.
- Participate actively in the discussion forums or to gain additional insights from the instructor and other learners.
- Apply the concepts learned in the course to real-world examples and scenarios, such as analysing the morphology of texts or submitting lesson plans for teaching morphology to students.
- Seek feedback from the instructor or peers on your assignments to improve your understanding and application of the material.
- Read the recommended texts and articles to supplement your understanding of the course material.
- Reflect on how the course has influenced your teaching practice and incorporate new strategies and techniques into your classroom instruction.
Who is this Masterclass for?
- Primary teachers
- Literacy and language professionals
- Parents who wish to supplement their children’s literacy learning
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN
Language for Life Segments: Pronouns (PD432)
Every time I do a Language for Life workshop, I can’t help wishing we had more time. The parts of speech are so interesting, so dynamic, I feel like we’re only scratching the surface sometimes.
This mini-course is about pronouns.